Young Friends of the Earth Europe is seeking a Coordinator, to support a growing and diverse network of young activists, working on environmental and social justice issues in more than 20 countries across Europe.
Based in the Friends of the Earth Europe office in Brussels, full time, one year fixed contract with possibility of renewal, to ideally start from 1st January, 2020.
Deadline for applications: October 29th 2019, 09:00 CET (Central European Time).
Young Friends of the Earth Europe (Young FoEE) is a grassroots network of young people and youth organisations working collectively at the local, national, European and and International levels. It unites member groups from more than 20 countries across Europe, bringing together young people to share knowledge and skills and tackle social and environmental justice. Please see: https://www.foeeurope.org/yfoee for more information.
Young FoEE is an important and dynamic part of Friends of the Earth Europe (FoEE), one of the leading green NGOs in Brussels. The position will be based in Friends of the Earth Europe office, and the coordinator will be accountable to a steering group made up of volunteers from the Young FoEE network.
Work will include supporting the steering group and the Young FoEE network, planning and implementing high quality events and projects, and ensuring impactful youth campaigning.
Activities of the Young FoEE network include:
- Maintaining and growing a strong, diverse and inclusive youth network, with active individuals and member organisations from across Europe and beyond
- Campaigning and mobilising on topics including Climate Justice, Food & Agriculture, and Intersectionality in creative ways that achieve system change, and take account of power & privilege
- Building the capacity of young volunteers and activists with skills and experience for successful campaigning, actions, bringing about change in their local and national contexts, and creating solidarity between member groups and across regions
Purpose of the role:
To enable FoEE to progress towards its strategy to build the capacity of and empower future campaign leaders, through supporting the Young FoEE Steering Group, organising and delivering key Young FoEE training events and management of the work of the Young FoEE team.
1. Young FoEE network and Steering Group support
- Facilitate networking and cooperation between Young FoEE members on bilateral and pan-European levels, as well with contacts and groups from other FoE International regions
- Support the development of national and European-level campaigns which are impactful and relevant to young people
- Maintain and develop a distinctive and well-recognised Young FoEE identity among European youth, including support for communications online and on social media
- Support young volunteers and activists to develop knowledge, skills and values to make impactful contributions to the work of Young FoEE, with a focus on supporting the Young FoEE steering group
- Provide hands-on capacity to help implement the Steering Group's plans and decisions
- Provide leadership for the Steering Group by offering recommendations and proposals for future action, in particular through the annual planning processes.
2. Young FoEE Events and Project Management
- Ensure the delivery of Young FoEE training events, including communications with volunteers, arranging logistics and facilitation
- Manage all volunteers and/or staff engaged in the organising or delivery of the Young FoEE events and activities
- Draft and manage the allocated Young FoEE budget in line with FoEE finance policy and donor requirements
- Lead and support all fundraising activities on behalf of Young FoEE, including drafting applications, reporting, ensuring funder requirements and project goals are met and identifying new potential funding opportunities
- Follow and manage the progress of Young FoEE projects and involve relevant stakeholders.
3. Young FoEE Team Support
- Provide line-management support or peer-support for interns or collagues, including coaching, input to annual performance evaluation and the identification of their development needs
- Identify training and other professional development opportunities for Young FoEE team
- Organise team meetings and events
- Undertake any other tasks and projects on behalf of the team members as required to ensure continuation of YFoEE work.
Applicants should demonstrate the following attributes:
- A commitment to FoEE's vision, mission and values, and a personal commitment to environmental and social justice
- Ability to balance leadership and service in relation to the Young FoEE Steering Group
- Excellent organisation, facilitation and project management skills
- A demonstrable experience in democratic, participative and consensus-based facilitation and work (including voluntary work) within a grassroots and/or youth network, and working with volunteers from diverse cultural backgrounds and/or a commitment to promoting intersectional values
- Experience of work (including voluntary work) within a grassroots and/or youth network, including experience of working with volunteers
- Ability to advocate for a youth perspective, particularly with colleagues in Brussels and in Member Organisations
- Proven experience of drafting attractive and motivating written content
- As this is a demanding role, we will value the ability of the candidates to work sustainably (which would include the ability to multi-task, set priorities, self-motivate, manage time efficiently, and work well under pressure)
- Able to demonstrate strong teamwork skills
- Ability to write compelling fundraising applications
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- An excellent command of English, which is the working language for this post
- Prepared to work occasional evenings and weekends and to travel abroad, sometimes on trips of several days
The following attributes are desirable:
- Experience of having worked with a steering group or an executive committee, preferably within a European or international context
- Previous experience with Young Friends of the Earth, Friends of the Earth, or an environmental and social justice group/ organisation
- Experience of managing individuals and online teams
- Ability to speak one or more other European language
- Experience in managing social media platforms
Friends of the Earth Europe offers an attractive benefits package, including a 13th month, lunch vouchers, an additional 5 days of holidays per year, pension scheme, hospitalisation and comprehensive travel insurance. We also offer full coverage of train travel in case of commuting within Belgium.
The position is based in Brussels (full-time, 5 days a week) in the FoEE office.
Friends of the Earth Europe welcomes candidates of all descriptions, regardless of age, sexual orientation, marital status, wealth, religious, philosophical or political beliefs, language, present or future state of health, disability, physical or genetic characteristics, gender, pregnancy, parental status, change of sex, nationality, race, skin colour, ancestry, nationality, descent, national or ethnic or social origin.
The working language is English, but participants are not expected to be native speakers.
Conditions are according to Belgian legislation; hence the position is open solely to persons with right to work in the EU. The contract will be for one year with the possibility for an extension.
Starting date: ideally from 1st January 2020
Remuneration: EUR 2,852 - EUR 3,315 gross per month
If you feel inspired by the objectives and challenges of the position and believe that you have something to bring to the role, please send an email with an attached CV and a letter (no more than 2 A4 pages) - in this letter please tell us:
- About yourself and your background
- How you feel that your previous experience (professional, voluntary, lived experience etc.) has prepared you for this role
- Your suggestions about how the Young FoEE network could develop over the next 2 years. Please justify your suggestions and ideas.
Please send your CV and letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am (Brussels time, CET) on Tuesday October 29th.
Due to the high level of applications expected for this position, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.
FoEE will store your application and all corresponding data for a period of 6 months after the job advert closes. If you would like us to keep your CV and application letter on file, please indicate this in your email.
Interviews will be conducted in the week of November 25th 2019.
For more information about FoEE and Young FoEE, see www.foeeurope.org and www.foeeurope.org/yfoee